Thursday, June 4, 2009

who'd have thunk it?

i just didn't know that the moment that you even think about having a baby, you should enroll that precious bundle in daycare and preschool. we will be needing daycare when i go back to work in the fall, so we started checking into various centers. they are full. and they will continue to be full until at least january. and even then there aren't any guarantees. geesh!

soooo, we are on waiting lists, but the whole thing makes me nervous. we know that as soon as he is old enough (15-18 months), we are thinking about enrolling him in a montessori beginnings program. since there are only two in our area, on a whim i decided to call and inquire about waiting lists. yep. sure enough, they are booked for the fall (he wouldn't be old enough anyway) and they recommend that we apply early. say now early. for over a year from now. wow. so we are going to one of the open houses on the 15th.

i wonder if i should start filling out his college applications next week... or if that will be too late ;-)

4 comments:

  1. It's crazy but true! Holly's works at a preschool so we have an 'in' when we have our baby. But we will still have to be put on the waiting list while she's pregnant. That's how fast they fill up!

    Good luck, I hope you are able to find a good place for him soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap. I'm screwed. We haven't even begun to look at pre-school for Dillon. He'll be 3 this fall, but we haven't been in a hurry 'cause they have to be potty-trained first. Dillon does not seem to be showing any inclination to use the potty so we haven't been really thinking about the whole pre-school thing. It's most likely that both boys will be going to the Montessori school (hopefully at St. Andrew's) but I haven't even begun to pick out pre-schools!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shark- there are 2 montessori preschools (children's house and montessori in the woods)... erie day school used to have one, not sure if they still do... we are putting pieces in the beginnings classroom- it goes to 3 years (they work on potty issues there)... that's one of the benefits of montessori- multi-age classrooms (especially since we will be utilizing the extended day!!!) if you want to go to an open house; montessori in the woods is on june 15th from 7-9. even though it's further away than children's house, i think that's the one we are going to go with... it emits a zen feeling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about the Montessori in the Woods but it is too far away. Since the Grandma's would have to pick him up (MIL lives in Wesleyville and my Mom still lives by Harding) I don't think either would be keen on the drive.

    The Church of the Covenant used to have a very artsy based pre-school. I'll probably check into them.

    I'm actually not really looking forward to it. Jon and I really but heads on education. The only reason I got him to agree to Montessori Charter School is because he knows the principal.

    ReplyDelete