lastnight at dinner, rhys asked if tomorrow was sunday. we told him that it was indeed, and he exclaimed that he had an amazin' idea... "why don't we make sundaes to eat on sunday?" we couldn't argue with the little fella's logic, but tried to steer him to a more productive endeavor... (yeah, yeah, I know... sundaes are delish, but we are entering week three of dietbet, people, and sundaes ain't exactly in the plan!)
when c and I first met, we loved to go hiking. as a matter of fact, we went to the finger lakes on our honeymoon because there were such beautiful hikes to be had. and wine. there was lots of wine. but I digress... it was a natural progression to start geocaching during our hikes... and we were pretty good at it. now, we weren't die-hard geocachers, but we had a few finds under our belts. fast forward to having children. I think that when rhys was born, we may have attempted a geocache or two, but it was kind of difficult scaling the terrain and carrying a kidlet, so, geocaching fell to the wayside. every so often, I would longingly look at our gps' and flashlights and bags of rose quartz (the treasure that we would leave), and reminisce about geocaching days done by... until now.
to get the boy child's mind off of the delicious sundae delicacy, we brought up geocaching. all three kids were excited about hiking to find a treasure. we did have a wee little problem, however... once we moved, all of our geocaching goodies were packed up, and we aren't really sure where exactly they are. so, I found a geocache that didn't require a gps. I grabbed the directions and my camera, and we were off.
it was a nice, easy little hike. we went further than necessary to find the cache, but that was okay. the girls were having fun finding sticks with "extensions" and rhys was just bee-bopping along. unfortunately, the instructions weren't too clear, and we didn't find the cache. but we did find a turtle and a bird's nest and a caterpillar. the girls are proud of their battle wounds (pricker scratches), and rhys was tickled that we used a genuine map to find our trail.
so, even though we didn't find the cache, we found even better things in 'mudder nature.'
my goal now is to find our gps'! and, since it is such a nice day, we are having ourselves a little cookout. not bad for a sundaeless sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment