Saturday, December 19, 2015

dreamcrusher

ever since way before thanksgiving, the boy child has been harping about making a wish on the wishbone... and, he knew exactly what he was going to wish for... he was going to wish that every day was christmas. I have never seen anyone believe, so purely, with their whole heart, in wishes coming true, than he believed in his wish coming true when he got the bigger half of the wishbone.

I tried talking him out of the wish. I explained how santa and his elves and the reindeer would be exhausted if every day was christmas. the kid wasn't in it for the gifts... he wanted to be on holiday break forever.,, he even sucked me in on it: "mama! you and me can just relax and play every day if we were on christmas break every day!" he even tried to get me to wish the same wish as him so that we were guaranteed eternal christmas break. I can't say that I could blame him, but somehow I had to steer his wish in a different direction. I had time to do this- because the wishbone had to dry out.

before going to bed tonight, he gave me "the" look... then he slyly smiled, and whispered, "wishbone." the time had come. I had to break his little six-year-old spirit...

I let him choose which side of the wishbone that he would like to pull... we each made our wish... and then, SNAP!



I got the bigger half. he was crushed. I asked him what he had wished for... "it doesn't matter, mama. it's not going to come true", he sulked. I asked him again, and with his eyes welling up, he said, "i wished for air hogs smash bots." I smiled, "do you know what I wished for? I wished for your wish to come true." through tears in his eyes, a great smile broke out... whew! then he said, "ya know, if I hadn't been thinking about myself, I would have wished for stella to have a christmas bone." gosh I love this kid.








1 comment:

  1. Has he watched Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas? They address the consequences of "Christmas everyday" wishes. Lol. Such a sweet boy, dream big little guy!

    ReplyDelete