Thursday, January 15, 2015

going ons

sweet mother of pearl. lately it seems as though time is simultaneously standing still and zipping by at the speed of light. tonight, we booked the boy child's birthday bowling extravaganza. two thumbs up for these mommas- we are over a month early! how he is going to be six is beyond me. way beyond me. because of this early development, I am predicting that everything else that we need to do for his birthday, we will procrastinate on. it's all about balance.

speaking of rhys, his new foods initiative for school is going great! he has tried zucchini, kiwi, oatmeal, granola, raw broccoli, artichokes and green smoothies. he has actually really been into trying new foods, and, his excitement has been rubbing off on his sisters. they didn't want to try the zucchini and raw broccoli, but they have turned out to be two of the girls' favorite things (favorite = they would never ever eat them willingly, but, when given a choice about which vegetable they want for dinner, they will readily choose zucchini or broccoli and eat it without a struggle). of course, there is usually the initial pouting about trying a new food, which can sometimes be a tad bit entertaining.

http://youtu.be/MOIHWsYXWjI

our almost-six-year-old is also becoming quite the little reader. the other day ago, as I began dinner, he sat down at the table to do his homework. usually, I read him the directions and then proceed with cooking, but that day I overheard him doing it all by his lonesome...

http://youtu.be/ZWGXqB7Yv9s

cooking is my job. I love to cook. I love to create yummilicious delicacies. because of my love of all things kitchen, it is beyond my realm of understanding why I never used a griddle. I actually had a really nice cast iron one that I had never used, that I believe got sold in a garage sale. with a family of five, I always just used a regular pan for grilled cheese and pannycakes and any other grilled item. until now. c got me a griddle for Christmas, and all I can say is 'wow'! I have wasted so much time not having a griddle. seriously. I had a pannycake feast ready in two griddle rounds, and, actually got to eat with everyone, rather than standing at the stove flipping cakes as the littles whined that they wanted more pannycakes... and can we talk about grilled cheese?!? instead of two at a time, I can do EIGHT! one round of sandwich making! I also made some cheesy cauliflower cakes... in all of about five minutes. I love me some griddlin'!


 
the boy and I are looking forward to a nice, long weekend. he has already requested that we go out to breakfast together, but I'm hoping that he'll change his mind and settle for eating at home and staying in our jammies all day. tomorrow I have an inservice day, and then I am free for 3 days. our weekend is looking pretty fun: tomorrow night we are going to a hockey game, the kids have ski school on saturday, and sunday and monday are wide open.
 
 

 
 if I'm lucky, maybe rhys will learn the rest of his most recent dramatization, "chicken soup with rice." funny boy he is.
 


1 comment:

  1. Great videos!!!! I love love love griddlin! Those kiddos are super cute in winter wear!

    ReplyDelete