Sunday, September 11, 2016

catastrophes abound

last night we pulled the blinds on the sliding glass doors that lead to the backyard, so that thing 1 and thing 2 wouldn't catch sight of the playset that no longer was. we wanted one night of peaceful slumber, where we weren't consoling the drama that lu and q can conjure up... but what we forgot was, the morning was going to come way too soon.

this morning, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and lu and q were ready to head outside. I stayed in our bedroom. I was afraid. c was the brave one- baking homemade muffins to soften the blow. finally, it happened...

lu went to go outside...
l: oh no! Quinn come here! it's a CATASTROPHE!!!
q: what is, lank-in?
l: look for yoweself! our swing set... it's GONE!!! I bet it was those people from yesterday, Quinn!
q: oh my goodness! I bet it was those people from yesterday! or pepaw!
c: it wasn't pepaw. remember how you girls are getting too big for the swing set? well, it's just the right size for those little boys who were here yesterday.

and that was that. no tears. no tantrum. just a bit of confusion and the solace that other little kids will have a good time with their swing set... and this allows them the opportunity to have more surface area to dig in.



unfortunately not all catastrophes around the h-b household have been averted. if you were to look at the calendar, or around any store, you would know that Halloween is approaching. with Halloween, comes costumes. with costumes comes c and my need to assemble matching/themed costumes before the kids get ideas of their own. this year we have been struggling with a theme... all we really had was pirates or peter pan. yesterday, we went costume shopping. we found an adorable peter pan outfit, that we could have put a tutu on, and lu would have been adorable, with q as tinkerbell, and r as captain hook. lu put it on, looked in the mirror, and said, "I. am. pan!" it was amazing. except the costume was way too big.... but... it did fit rhys. "ok, mama. i'll try it on to humor you, but I am not embarrassing myself by actually wearing it around." catastrophe. after two hours, I was in a daze. I couldn't think anymore. we walked out with a ninja costume for the boy child, an adorable robin (superhero) costume for lu, and an equally adorable unicorn fairy costume for q. no theme this year. WE HAVE NO THEME THIS YEAR, PEOPLE!!! catastrophe. some people would say that as long as the kids are happy with their costumes, then it's a win. i'm not some people.

to add insult to injury, c leaves tomorrow, so i'll be flying solo with the trio. apparently c does not trust my kid-dressing abilities because she has laid out outfits- school outfits, cross country outfits, play time outfits... does she not realize that I have an exquisite sense of kid-dressing style? apparently not. she thinks that it would be a catastrophe if I were to dress the childrens for a week. perhaps I shall ignore her suggestions, and dress them all on my own. perhaps not. we shall see.



1 comment:

  1. We dress in a theme every year for the family Halloween party charity event at then Little Monster's and now Boo's private preschool. I get it. Then we let the kids do their own thing for trick or treating. Compromise? Nah, who am I kidding, the kids pick out our family theme as well, LOL!

    Good luck flying solo with the trio! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete