we always said that the first child who would break something would be lyncoln. of course, we were joking, but the darn prediction came true yesterday. in all honesty, we thought that she would have done something to herself to cause the malady, but, it turns out, it was her sister who afflicted said break.
after dinner last night, c and the kids went outside while I cleaned up and went down in the basement to change the laundry over. as I was coming upstairs, I heard a series of feet running across the floor, and I just figured a few kids had to go to the bathroom. when I got upstairs, I saw rhys rummaging through the freezer. I figured that he was looking for an ice cream sandwich. it was all a whirlwind... "Aha! I found it!" he said, as he took off running outside... I made it to the front window to see c jump into her car and take off. rhys came in and said, "mommy said to meet her at the hospital STAT!" when I inquired about what happened, he told me that Quinn pushed lyncoln and that lyncoln broke her arm. I thought that there was no way that lu broke her arm, but I picked up my cell to call c, only to notice that she had left her phone behind. uh oh.
I went into high gear... Quinn was in her room hiding under her blankets, so I told her to get dressed... then I ran out to the dog line to let stella inside, I put both dogs in their crates, shut off the water outside, locked up, and grabbed lu's nigh-nigh. I was just about at the hospital, when c called from their phone telling me to bring shoes for lu. "too late, I'm almost there" I told her. as soon as I walked in and saw lu's arm, I knew. we all knew. looking at her arm, I almost threw up.
when she was finally called back, they took her temp and weighed her, and then we waited a bit longer to be called back for x-rays. yep, broken, but we still had no idea to what extent. quinn was beside herself with sorrow. she felt so badly that she had caused her sister to get hurt. lyncoln rubbed her back and assured her sister that everything was going to be fine and that she was still her friend. by this time, it was pretty late, and c's aunt diane texted to let us know that she was available if we needed anything. thank goodness for her... c ran q and rhys home and aunt diane met her there to sit with them so that we could both be with lync while she got her splint. at this time, we were under the impression that she would get splinted and return in the morning to see ortho. as soon as c left,t he dr came in and told me that there was a change of plans. uh oh.
the head ortho guy reviewed the x-rays, and told the dr on call to realign before splinting... this required an iv, morphine, local sedation, and a shot of fentanyl. I called c and told her that I needed her to hurry because I knew that I would pass out if I had to witness what was about to take place. they assured me that she wouldn't remember any of it... the problem was that I would.
the sedation made her loopy and mimicked seizure activity (flickering eyes, confusion). she started crazy babbling before she finally calmed down.
they inserted her iv, and, by the time they were ready to start the realigning, c had made it back. whew! about 7 medical personnel came into the room, I stepped out, and then I heard lu scream bloody murder. I cried, and have no idea how I managed not to ralph all over the hallway. I also have no idea how c didn't pass out in there. after about 10 minutes, they were finished, and a mobile x-ray machine was brought in to re-x-ray her arm. by this time, lu was out of it.
after about 10 minutes, the dr came and asked us if we wanted to see her x-rays. of course we did! we saw the before (it still makes me squeamish to look at them), and were amazed by the after. lu had to stay a few hours after the sedation for monitoring, so, around midnight, I went to get her rx filled, while c stayed with her. we all got home around 1:30 a.m. lu slept peacefully with us, and woke up around 10 this morning.
tomorrow morning, we need to have her at the hospital by 7:30 a.m., for ortho to re-evaluate and re-x-ray her arm. they will then decide on a course of action. the dr believed that she will be full arm casted for about 3 weeks, and then transition to a half cast. he did tell us, though, that there is a possibility that she could be taken right into surgery, but he really didn't see that happening. ugh.
so, fingers crossed that a cast *is all* that she needs to endure... the kid is a powerhouse, but I'm not so sure the momma's can handle anything more intrusive!


















Oh my gosh! Poor thing! I really hope that she ends up with ONLY a cast. I am sure Quinn feels bad. My sister broke my foot when we were younger (kicked me with a pair of cleats on) and I do not think she ever got over the guilt. Sisters. What are you going to do?!
ReplyDelete