Friday, November 11, 2016

keep on keepin' on

it's the Friday after the election, and I am still struggling to find my voice. I am sad and frightened. I don't hold any animosity against those who voted for trump- many of them are near and dear to my heart. but...

they don't understand.

they don't understand that my family could, once again, be stripped of our civil rights, and, essentially, become second class citizens again. they don't understand this, because they aren't members of the lgbt community. yes, they love us, but no, they don't understand.

they don't understand that, the morning after the election, I awoke to the sound of my wife silently sobbing... and I couldn't muster the strength to console her... you see, one of our sweet girls, who believes in magic and unicorns, was soundly sleeping between us, and I didn't want her to wake up and see her mommies upset. instead, I raced to the shower, so that the burning of my own tears could flow, and the sounds of my own sobs would be camouflaged by the cascading water.

they don't understand that the drive to work was ominous. I felt as though the dark skies would never be bright again. I couldn't shake the nausea and lightheadedness that consumed my very being.

"everything will be ok," they say. and I hope that it will, but there is a very real possibility that it won't be. they don't understand this because they never had to fight for equality. they never had to go through the motions of adopting their own children, or running off to a different country to marry, or take extra steps to ensure that their family unit was protected.

I understand that my civil rights weren't pressing issues for them. I understand that the economy and foreign affairs and jobs and the promise of revitalizing the American dream were what they voted for. I get it. but, I also understand that, they don't understand, that trump's version of the American dream could, quite possibly, become my nightmare.

I am struggling with the fact that I am intolerant of intolerance. there is no way, that I can wrap my head around the horrible things that this man, this president-elect, has said about our citizens... about people. his duty is to protect, not to ridicule and hate. there is no excuse.

we are raising our children to love without exception. they make us proud every single day. they love purely and deeply, with their whole hearts. they love people. people of all colors, religions, and political views. they even love people who don't share their affinity for sweets. you see, they love blindly, with their eyes wide open.

we are raising our children to stand up to injustices- even if they stand alone, even if they are afraid. during these next four years, i will be following their sweet example... because our struggle could, quite possibly, become more difficult. we will be called upon to stand up for what's right, in the name of love, in the face of hate. and we will be scared. but, i know that we won't be standing alone.

we are raising our children to respect others- those who believe differently, those who worship differently, those who celebrate differently. i believe that our differences are part of what makes our nation great. it breaks my heart that our president-elect doesn't embody the same respect for others that we demand from our children.

that being said, the sun continues to rise. through this, we will continue to love and support one another. we will continue to educate and be visible and spread hope. we will continue to keep on keepin' on.


No comments:

Post a Comment