Wednesday, February 17, 2016

broken hearts club

with valentine's day behind us, it's ironical that the boy child has become an emotional wreck. his birthday is next week, and, in true us fashion, we were a bit tardy getting his birthday invitations out. so far, he has received three rsvp's... his first target, an older girl on his bus, cannot attend because she is going to a sleepover. when he conveyed this to me, his little lip was quivering and his eyes filled with tears. I assured him that some of his friends would attend, and that sometimes people have other plans.

yesterday, he asked his classmates who would be coming to his birthday party. apparently there is another classmate's birthday party on the same day, and she got her invitations out sooner. we assured him that some of his pals would still come to his party, and that it would be an amazing birthday party. he seemed to buy it, until c got home, and then he lost his stuff all over again.

today, he asked a few more friends what their plans were. his buddy, will, told him that he was coming to rhys' party (we are not sure if this is true or not). rhys told me that he was sad at school today- not crying sad, just bummer sad, and that was when will told him that he was going to come. "mama? I hope that will really is coming, but if he isn't, that would have been a lie. I think that would make me feel worse." I explained to him that his friend didn't want to see him sad, and that maybe he would come, and maybe he wouldn't, but it would still be a grand party. he didn't seem to buy into my thinking this time, so I had to think fast... "ya know, bub... it's okay if most of your friends are busy on your party day... we will still have your party, and, maybe you could host your first sleepover with a friend or two a little later." jackpot. I hit a chord in the kid's heart. "mama? i'm going to invite a boy, because i'm pretty sure that a girl would just run off and play with the sisters. wait. maybe i'll invite a boy and a girl. I guess, now that I think about it, I think that I would like to marry mylie. and whoever stays over, they can sleep in my bed, and i'll sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag. or else we can all sleep in sleeping bags. or maybe the air bed......."

so there ya have it... not even 7, and his little heart is being put through the ringer. heaven help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment